It’s almost like being asked to pick your favorite child.
For many Americans, it’s not just one topping that takes the cake (or pie, as the case may be). In fact, for many, one topping is simply not enough. But, that wasn’t good enough for the industries top researchers who were dying to know:
Which pizza topping is superior to all others?
Such a question triggers many other characteristics. First off, what kind of pizza are we talking here?
New York style?
The list goes one, and each has different strengths and weaknesses, all of which correspond to one’s topping preference.
Harris Poll believed they could trump the challenge. As a result, they dug deep and asked Americans to choose between all of the various toppings using just your New York style pizza as a reference.
The top result was mildly predictable – pepperoni.
At the bottom, you will find the smelly anchovies.
Harris Poll gathered data from 2,193 adults who were surveyed online in January of 2016. One of the most intriguing results from the polling was that plain old cheese pizza was in sharp decline. In fact, “just cheese” ranked no. 4 on the toppings ranking, coming in behind mushrooms (ugh).
One would think that cheese, a timeless delicacy spanning throughout human history, would edge one out over literal fungus. But I digress.
At any rate – here are the ratings according to the Harris Poll:
- Pepperoni – Basic, juicy and flavorful pepperoni that defaults as the one topping everyone always includes in a mass-order of pizza (everyone loves pepperoni, right?)
- Sausage – Because why not add in a little breakfast to your dinner.
- Mushroom – Again, literal fungus.
- Cheese – Perfect in its plain-ness, how could anyone ever say “no, pizza, you’re not enough for me.”
- Onions – Like the smell of the pizza alone is not enough, it’s always nice to have an acidic aftertaste and pungent odors lingering around the dorm room for DAYS.
- Bacon – Again with the breakfast items.
- Ham – Who gets ham by itself?
- Pineapple – Really the only good thing to come out of Hawaii.
- Peppers – Veggies on pizza? Who are you trying to fool?
Of course, it’s always harder for someone to talk about what they like versus what they truly despise. Thankfully, the pollsters also went ahead and asked everyone what their least favorite toppings were. Because, you know, the scientific method.
Here’s what everybody agrees are the worst toppings on pizza (well, if you don’t agree, enjoy paying for your own pizza every time)
- Anchovies – Topping off the list, does anyone actually like anchovies? Like, on anything?
- Mushrooms – Thank you, because, again, literally fungus.
- Pineapple – These people are wrong.
- Onions – Because it just doesn’t belong on pizza.
- Olives – Go get a dirty martini, but leave my pizza out of your bad habits.
- Pepperoni – It’s like that person you love but also hate, apparently.
- Peppers – This is probably more a criticism of people who want veggies on pizza.
- Sausage – I hear these go great with eggs, pancakes and other breakfast items of which pizza is not a member.
- Meat – These people are un-American.
- Cheese – I guess they’re just in it for the bread, which they actually sell in slices now, I hear.
Next time when you were looking for a new Pizza place or just somewhere to hangout in The Colony Texas, checkout URBAN8 and be ready for surprises.